Gay Ally Howard Bess Retires From Church, Stays Active in Community

UPDATE: The ABC News clip on Sarah Palin's support of removing Howard Bess' "Pastor, I Am Gay" from the Wasilla public library is atPalmer Pastor's Gay-Positive Book was on Mayor Palin's Censor List


Palmer community activist Howard Bess celebrated his 50th year as an ordained American Baptist minister by retiring from his role as pastor of the Church of the Covenant.

Bess is the author of the book "Pastor, I Am Gay" and one of the founders of the Anchorage-based gay rights group Identity Inc. In Palmer, he encouraged the Mat-Su GLBTA community to hold their meetings at the church.

The Anchorage Daily News ran an interview of Howard Bess, including why he became involved in gay issues, the local response to his work on behalf of Alaska's GLBTA communities, and the wide variety of other social issues that are important to him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm writing from Minnesota, having just read an article on Salon.com (September 15, '08) about Rev. Bess' experiences with Sarah Palin. I know that he is going to get a lot of flack for that so I hope you'll pass along this voter's appreciation. Speaking out against a popular hometown figure is risky, but I for one am grateful for the information. Best wishes to the reverend.

E. Ross said...

Thanks! I'll pass the message to Rev. Bess. I know he will appreciate your support.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that Rev. Bess is still fighting the good fight! Best wishes on your "retirement" from a friend in Santa Barbara, Pauline. Keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

Howard, my husband and I played golf with you in Wasilla 2 summers ago. We're enjoying reading about you again. Keep up the good work!! J and Denny from Colorado. www.jbirdworld.com

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.