Alaskans Attend Creating Change

Creating Change 2009, The 21st National Conference on LGBT Equality, runs Wednesday through Sunday in Denver, and two Alaskan leaders are attending this year.

"I am excited about Creating Change," wrote Tiffany McClain. "I'm really hoping that I learn something I can put to use in the campaign for Equality Works."

Tiffany is managing the Equality Works campaign "to protect Anchorage residents from discrimination and harassment, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity." She is the LGBT Coordinator for the ACLU of Alaska, and the Secretary of Alaskans Together for Equality.

"Identity is sending me to Creating Change," wrote Scott Turner, co-chair of Identity, Inc. "I will do my best to bring back plenty of good info on things we are working on locally."

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) sponsors and organizes Creating Change, "the nation's pre-eminent political, leadership and skills-building conference for the LGBT social justice movement."

This isn't the first year that Alaskan activists have attended the national conference.

"Creating Change was very educational for me every time I went," wrote Elias Rojas, also of Alaskans Together. "I think for Alaskans it offers understanding of the bigger GLBT issues that are happening across the country and the trends and issues."

"Any Alaskan that makes it to the conference will come back with a fresh perspective."

No comments:

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.