Anchorage and Fairbanks Fight the H8, Protest Prop 8!

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) and straight citizens will take to the streets of ANCHORAGE and FAIRBANKS on Saturday Nov. 15, 2008 to protest the passage of Proposition 8, California's anti-gay marriage amendment, and the lack of LGBT equal rights in Alaska.

Tens of thousands of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people and our allies have taken to the streets to show outrage with the outcome of California's Proposition 8. Prop 8 is a Constitutional Amendment to prohibit same-sex marriage, taking away a right that was granted before the vote. Same-sex marriage bans also passed in Arizona and Florida. The outcome of these propositions has angered the national gay community and our supporters. Many feel as if they are second-class citizens, but the fight is not over.

On Saturday, November 15, the LGBT community and their supporters will take to the streets in what could be the largest organized Protest since the Civil Rights Movement. To date, more than 250,000 individuals have pledged to take part in the nationwide event and descend upon the City Halls, State Capitols and the Nation's Capitol to make their voices heard. Signs, posters and numerous websites have already been created and the word is spreading quickly throughout the nation. JoinTheImpact.webpaint.com lists protest locations in all 50 States and the District of Columbia. 

The message is simple, yet profound: Equal Rights for All. 

The organizers of this nationwide event stress that these will be peaceful demonstrations. "Let's move as one full unit, on the same day, at the same hour, and let's show the United States of America that we too are United States citizens equal in mind, body and spirit and deserving of full equality under the law." 

The Protest / Movement is scheduled to take place across the nation at the same time: 1:30 PM Eastern, 12:30 PM Central, 11:30 AM Mountain and 10:30 AM Pacific on Saturday, November 15th, 2008. Those interested in attending this historic event may find their local protest location by visiting: http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com 

ANCHORAGE

WHAT: Prop. 8 Protest - Equal Rights

WHO: LGBT and straight citizens who support Equal Rights

WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 15, 2008; at 12 Noon*

WHERE: 550 W 7th AVE, ATWOOD Building 

*We are not the only city holding the protest at a different time. But if you feel that it is important to be there at 9:30, then go and make your voice be heard! (and stay for the noon rally if you can.) Thanks.

FAIRBANKS

WHAT: Prop. 8 Protest - Equal Rights

WHO: LGBT and straight citizens who support Equal Rights

WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 15, 2008; at 9:30 a.m.

WHERE: 800 Cushman Street, CITY HALL

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! ill bring as many people as i can with me. I can promise 4 in my group, possibly 6-8 more. I will spread the message via myspace and facebook tonight now since it seems like we have all compromised a time (noon) and location.

Anonymous said...

Rats! I guess I am one of few that won't be able to make it since the time is later. I'll hold my own rally on my front steps!
Here's hoping for a HUGE turnout!

Anonymous said...

Some of us will be showing up at 9:30.

The more the merrier!!

Anonymous said...

i changed my plans just now to show up at 930am ... this has been very confusing unfortunately.... see you all there!!!

E. Ross said...

Sorry folks, the media got the press release saying "noon" and it's posted on the local blogs (including Mudflats, where it currently has 118 comments) so I think it's a little late to change it.

We are not the only city holding the protest at a different time. But if you feel strongly about being there at 9:30 a.m. or cannot join us at noon, then go and make your voices be heard, more power to you! (and please send the photos to Bent Alaska.)

planet trans said...

Hi from Kelli in Dallas Yaaa Alaska!!!

Lily Fluffbottom said...

Im psoting notice on myspace... I'll be there regardless at noon.

Anonymous said...

I will be there at Noon also.

Anonymous said...

I understand being there to speak up, but will other folks be there at 9:30? I have to leave just before noon and really don't want to make the drive from the valley to be the only one there...
If it looks like it will be lonely at 9:30, I'll rally in the valley (to borrow a baseball phrase!)

E. Ross said...

Come on down whenever you can! There is a group that plans to be there at 9:30, others are coming around 11 for the noon rally because they have to leave early, and a few hope we are still there at 2.

This protest is too important - I don't think people should stay home just because they can't be there exactly at noon.

But, heck, if you want to grab a few valley friends to protest with you in Wasilla, then go for it. (And I definitely want a photo of a gay protest in front of Wasilla City Hall!)

Thanks to everyone for spreading the word and bringing your friends tomorrow - you ROCK.

Anonymous said...

ha! If I had more guts about me, I'd LOVE to protest in front of wasilla city hall!!!!

Anonymous said...

adding to my above comment, if someone ELSE throws together a Wasilla rally, I will be there.

Anonymous said...

I'm from Wasilla but going to Anchorage... if we all meet in Anchorage, maybe a rally in front of Wasilla city hall would be a lot of fun since Mrs. Palin wants to pray us away right?! ha take a picture if you go for sure please.

Anonymous said...

I have posted some photos here http://northernvisions.smugmug.com/gallery/6563290_Wn7HL#417695802_xBrRb of the Anchorage rally.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your link. I did not make it, work got in the way of planning the 40 mile drive.
I was there in spirit, I have posters up in my window.

Hoping for sometime in my lifetime for my friends.

Anonymous said...

get back in the closet

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a jerk. Anyways, kudos for the rally! Great pics too!

Anonymous said...

thanks to all for showing up. it was a great rally!!!

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.