Do you give to the (anti-gay) Salvation Army?

If you've been in a grocery story or mall recently (and who hasn't?), you have seen and heard the Salvation Army's Christmas bell-ringers collecting donations for charity. Straight bell-ringers, because the Salvation Army does not hire gays.

And many gays do not give to the Salvation Army, choosing to give money to charities that do not discriminate against us instead of those that do.

In addition to not hiring gays, the Salvation Army actively lobbies for anti-gay laws, calls gay couples with children 'pretend' families, and promotes celibacy as the only option for gay Christians.

But the Salvation Army is not the only option for giving. Queer Alaskans who want to donate to nondiscriminatory charities have many choices. Three local charities with good records are Beans Cafe and homeless shelter for adults and Covenant House for homeless youth, both in Anchorage, and the Street Outreach and Advocacy Program for homeless kids in Fairbanks.

The Salvation Army works on a much larger scale, and some gays and allies say that justifies their donations.

Do you put money in the Salvation Army buckets?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight. I had no idea - though, upon reflection, it makes sense that the Salvation Army and its fundamentalist approach to the Bible would be anti-gay.

I will spread the word here in the Midwest. Everyone one, straight or gay, who believes in human rights should make a point of giving only to organizations who do not discriminate.

Thanks again!

Jackie said...

No - I stopped giving to or even shopping at Salvation Army thrift stores when I first learned of their discriminatory behavior. The Good Will is an excellent alternative, as are the Catholic thrift stores - there's even one in Kodiak!

I lived in Washington State for 10 years, and the last year I was there, I worked at the Seattle YWCA Women's Shelter serving meals. They do not practice discrimination either, and it was a rewarding way to give my time.

Lori said...

I am an out lesbian and work for The Salvation Army here in Anchorage. I do not agree with the stance they have taken with the GLBT community, but I love my job. The Salvation Army has never had a problem with me being out- and I do some pretty public things. Its true that my partner cannot be on my insurance plan, but she works for the state (which removed sexual orientation from its anti-discrimination clause- thank you, Palin)and receives great benefits through them. I think that it is important to remember all the good that all non-profit organizations do in this community. Thanks to all who continue to support programs within our community who assist the elderly, the hungry, the homeless and others in need.

E. Ross said...

When I shared this post on Bent's Facebook wall, it got 40 comments with a long conversation on the spirit of giving vs. the importance of making informed choices. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Lori, I respect your dedication to your job and to helping others. But I'm surprised they hired you. The national web site said that members must agree to a statement of values which includes homosexuality as an unacceptable choice. But perhaps they have changed their policy.

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.