Rev. Johnathan's Christmas message

- by Rev. Johnathan Jones, of Church Life Alaska

It is certainly the time of holidays, rituals and celebrations. From Thanksgiving, to Yule-Tide, Kwanza to Christmas and winter solstice. For some of us these separate holiday seasons may seem very different to each other and sometimes even at odds with each other.

However, I want to think about what binds us all together through these holiday seasons. I must warn you though - the jist of this message may be upsetting to some, but, hopefully encouraging and activating.

Listening to the radio this year, I have heard the same Christmas song played over and over. "Have yourself a merry little Christmas, make the Yule-time gay, from now on, our troubles will be miles away." I'm not using these lyrics because they have the word "gay" or because the song was immortalized by Judy Garland, but rather, because the song is very melancholy to me and the lyrics seem untrue.

Especially for us in the queer community, some of us can find ourselves estranged from family and our troubles certainly don't seem miles away. So what can we do?

We can choose to spend the holidays with our families of choice. We can make an effort to invite those alone to our celebrations. We can give to the needy, poor and homeless. We can be thankful for what and who we have.

"Have a merry little Christmas" may seem a faraway dream for some of us, whilst others of us have that joy every holiday season. Where ever you fit on the "holiday spectrum," may I encourage you to take some time to help and love others, and help and love yourselves. Whatever your background, may you have a truly blessed holiday season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm happy to hear that you are banding together and supporting each other. I moved out of state over 12 years ago, Alaska is no place for someone with my disabilities, but still follow the news. Last summers veto by Sullivan really made me mad, sorry he got into office. As it happens I'm not gay but my brother and many friends were and many friends still are. I'm thankful to be living near Ithaca, New York where there is a place on the school district form to list your partner and noone blinks an eye if you're gay, because they understand that it's as normal as being hetrosexual.

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.