Gay Alaskan Seeks Northern Community

Alaskans know about isolation. So do gays. LGBT Alaskans can easily find ourselves in a beautiful but remote place, cut off from the visible queer communities in the Lower 48.

Jerod Opsal is a gay man from Idaho, now living on an island in Southeast Alaska. He is an author, photographer and health care worker who writes The Northern Vox, a blog on liberal politics and human rights.

Last week, Jerod posted "A Gay Community in Alaska?"
After living in Southeast Alaska now for six months, it is time to weigh-in about living gay in Alaska.

I definitely find myself still a little cautious about being "open" about my sexuality. It is interesting as I know everyone that lives on my little rock of 1400 people. They all know that I am Gay. I write a human rights political blog that is very searchable, I am the author of a book on religion and sexuality (coming out in July.) However, the snoozy silence in most of my professional conversations leaves me feeling quite isolated.  

Basically, Alaska is a place that anyone could move to, live out their life, and retire. This picture is actually quite comforting… IF you have a family or are already living with a long time companion. Palin rules Alaska with christian fundamentalist values and has not embraced diversity. The tone [is] grim, needless to say.  

My time here is short. I believe that if there was a measure of a gay community in Alaska, I could live out my life here. However, even Idaho, one of the most conservative states in the Union, has a thriving gay community that reminds you that "there are others."
The post got a few comments from Fairbanks, Anchorage, and two women on Kodiak Island who saw his link on Bent's Facebook page. Jerod is thrilled, but still hopes to meet LGBT people in Southeast Alaska.

Please go say "hello, we're here, we're queer, welcome to Alaska" to Jerod on The Northern Vox

If you are GLBT from any part of Alaska and on Facebook, become a friend of Bent Alaska and post a message or personal link on the wall. Then reply to other messages and follow their links. I've met so many interesting LGBT people and allies from all over the state since creating Bent. The Facebook page is an easy way for you to meet each other, and for all of us to help isolated gay Alaskans feel the comfort of queer 'family' up here on the Last Frontier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say a very special thank you! This comes as a great surprise. Thanks again Bent! Peace!

E. Ross said...

Glad to help. Did you see the link in the ADN?

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.