An Unlike Ally

William Saltonstall, a former Massachusetts state senator who died last month at the age of 81, was an outspoken ally of LGBT equality, in part because of his daughter and grandson who live in Palmer.

Saltonstall was a staunch Republican who served in the legislature from 1966 to 1978. He became an advocate for LGBT rights in the last decade of his life.

In 2000, he began speaking out against opponents of gay adoption and same-sex marriage. He wrote letters, donated money and lobbied for marriage equality. In 2006, Saltonstall changed his party affiliation to democrat. "I've been active in the gay rights movement, because my daughter is gay - she lives in Alaska - and the party has not been favorable to people like her," he told the Boston Globe.

Abigail, her partner Chris and their three children live in Palmer and own Half Moon Creek art gallery in Anchorage. 

2 comments:

Melissa S. Green said...

My condolences on your loss, Abigail.

I just read more about him online -- "William Saltonstall, 1927-2009, former Republican state senator actively fought for equality" by Laura Kiritsy (Boston, MA: Edge, 6 Feb 2009). Worth quoting:

Saltonstall first emerged as an ally in 2000, when he penned a brief but attention-getting letter to the Boston Globe explaining that he would not support the national Republican ticket in that year’s presidential election as he felt that he and the national GOP leadership differed on too many issues. "One issue sticks in my craw. It’s personal," Saltonstall wrote. "I have a lesbian daughter who, with her partner, has adopted three children into a loving family. The national leadership of the Republican Party takes the position that no gay people should adopt children, and if they do, the child might be taken away from them to be placed elsewhere.

I regard this as a direct attack on my family," Saltonstall continued. "My daughter wants to keep these children. They are my grandchildren, and I want to keep them. While I will continue to support local Republicans, as long as the Republican national leadership feels this way, I cannot support it.


Also "My View: William Saltonstall showed us all true meaning of 'public servant'" by Tom Halsted (Gloucester Daily Times, 31 Jan 2009). Quote:

Fairness in public and private dealings meant a great deal to him. When many Massachusetts Republicans began to follow the party's national trend in the 1980s, abandoning a traditional focus on fiscal conservatism and social moderation to wage cultural warfare on immigrants, abortion rights, gays and lesbians, and marriage equality, he left the party and made his concerns public in a moving letter to the Boston Globe. I doubt that he saw it as an act of courage, but rather only as doing what was right. But courageous he was, as well as gentle, courteous, and caring — a thoroughly admirable person it was an honor to call friend.

Though I didn't know him, I'm very glad to know more about my friend's father. May he rest in peace.

E. Ross said...

Hi, Mel. Those quotes are also in the Bay Windows article that I linked in my post. (Are the blue links showing? Maybe I should bold them.)

I didn't quote the long accolades from the east coast sites, because I heard that Abigail has a rather different understanding of her father and his motives.

It isn't my story to tell, tho I'd post it here if Abigail wrote it.

If you know her personally, please tell her that, and give her my condolences too.

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.