Greetings from Pastor Norman Van Manen

Reverend Norman Van Manen was installed as Development Pastor of MCC Anchorage on Feb. 15 in the presence of over forty members of the LGBT-inclusive church. Van Manen visited in mid-December as a pastoral candidate and was appointed soon after, due to the positive response by church and community members.

Pastor Van Manen wrote a special greeting for readers of Bent Alaska and Alaska GLBT News:
"I am new to Alaska by only a few days. As I settle in and become acquainted with the GLBTQ community, I am looking forward to meeting you. I have already discovered that Alaska is not an easy place to find comfort in being the person you were born to be. It is my goal that all who worship at MCC Anchorage will find self esteem, love from others, and always feel loved by God. I am looking forward to working with you and listening to your stories." 
Reverend Van Manen brings 41 years of ministry experience to MCC Anchorage and to the community. Van Manen's Pastoral Ponderings for this week are posted on the MCCA site:
"It is a revising and adjusting time for me. I still have to remind myself when I awaken in the morning that I am in Anchorage, Alaska. I was expecting to see water to the south and mountains to the north but instead the Cook Inlet is to the west (water) and the Mountains are to the east. What an awesome sight it was for me to see Mount McKinley from a high place for the first time a few days ago. It is 300 miles from here.

"MCC Anchorage has a great spirit of  embodiment and I am impressed with your warmth and kindness. Our worship is exciting and I am looking forward to the second message in a Sermon Series entitled The Week That Changed The World. This week's message is entitled The Day of Authority.

"This series of messages will take us up to and including Easter Sunday. On Thursday nights, we have a program that is called Step by Step. This is a Bible Study time with much discussion. We are looking at the foundation of our faith at the moment and you are all most welcome to attend. We have soup at 6:30 p.m. and begin Bible Study at 7 p.m. Please bring your Bible and a pen or pencil.

"I am looking forward to meeting with the Board of Directors this Sunday at 4:30 p.m. for our first official meeting. There is much to talk about and much to plan. We have great and exciting days ahead. I have each of you in my prayers."
The MCC Sunday service begins at 2 p.m. Photos of the Consecration and Laying of Hands ceremony at the installation of Rev. Van Manen are posted on the Metropolitan Community Church web site, which was recently up-graded by webmaster Matthew Moak.

No comments:

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.