Lucy Frey Inducted into Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame

Lucy Frey, a founder of Alaska's lesbian community, was inducted into the Alaska Women's Hall of Fame on March 6 as a member of the inaugural class. Frey is honored as a "social studies educator [and] feminist leader."

The Hall of Fame inducted 50 women who have made or are making significant contributions to the shaping of Alaska. Seven of the 13 living inductees were present and most are supporters of the lesbian and gay community, according to the Grrlzlist, including Carol Comeau, Dana Fabe, Katie Hurley, Sarah James, Arliss Sturgulewski, Fran Ulmer and Esther Wunnicke.
"I remember Lucy Frey for two things," wrote Rosemary Shinohara in an ADN editorial Some Teacher

"She was my most memorable teacher at Clark Junior High. I loved social studies in seventh grade. Getting to stay after to work on the bulletin boards was a big treat. She put up with troublemakers. She furthered a passion for school that carried me through many years. And she often played Scrabble with my mother, a school secretary and die-hard Catholic. I went along for the games.

"I had no idea at the time that Lucy Frey had a life outside Scrabble and classrooms. But last week, she was among 50 women named to the first Alaska Women's Hall of Fame induction, alongside such notables as Tlingit civil rights leader Elizabeth Peratrovich and Mary Louise Rasmuson of the Rasmuson Foundation.

"Now I find that she was a peace activist, noted Alaska feminist and rabble rouser.

"She handed out pledge cards downtown, asking people to resist violence. She co-owned the Alaska Women's Bookstore. She helped launch the Alaska Women's Political Caucus.

"Organizers of the Hall of Fame -- a handful of women's organizations -- say many feminist causes originated over potluck dinners in her living room.

"I don't know how Lucy and my mother became friends -- I've always thought of my mother as having been a more traditional mom, certainly not someone to hang out with feminists. But I'm glad it happened.

"I always knew Lucy Frey was a special teacher. Now I know she was a special human being too."
Many LGBT people and our allies knew Lucy and enjoyed the lesbian groups and events she helped to create. Although I moved to Alaska just after she retired to Missouri, I heard much about her, especially the potlucks and the Sing-Along. 

What are your thoughts on Lucy Frey's contributions to Alaska? Share your stories of Lucy in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so good for the gay community. Thank you for the coverage.

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.