Share your Story of Discrimination

Opponents of the Assembly non-discrimination ordinance say that discrimination against LGBT people does not exist in Anchorage. We know that it does, and we need to share that knowledge.

Have you been the target of LGBT-based discrimination in Anchorage? Please tell your story at the June 9 public hearing, or let someone else read it into the record. LGBT people and straight allies are encouraged to contact Tiffany McClain or use the online form at Equality Works.

Examples of anti-LGBT discrimination are showing up in the articles and comments about the Municipal ordinance that would protect Anchorage's lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender residents from discrimination.

Mel Green, who co-authored the study Identity Reports: Sexual Orientation Bias in Alaska (Anchorage, AK: Identity, Inc., 1989), recounts her personal experience of being fired from a local book store in 1984:
"It also occurred to me to wonder if maybe I'd been fired for being a lesbian.  This was confirmed a couple of days later when I went in to the store to pick up my final paycheck.  I talked with one of my other (former) coworkers, whose name I don't remember — in "Prima Facie" she goes by the initial M.  M was maybe two or three years younger than me, a rather innocent-seeming Mormon girl who seemed embarrassed by what she had to tell me.  She said that the day before I was fired, she had seen Chris at the back of the store talking with higher-ups from downtown, including the manager.  On the same day, Chris had announced to coworkers that I was gay.  On the day I was fired, Chris had gone about the store singing, "Mel got fired, Mel got fired."

"I've never seen Chris since, but my best guess is that she resented me for complaining to our manager about her habit of taking overlong breaks, & decided to get her revenge by playing on the prejudices of higher management."
The Anchorage Municipal Code states that discrimination "based upon race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, age, or physical or mental disability... is prohibited."
"[H]ad sexual orientation been a protected class... I would have had grounds to file a complaint with the state human rights commission & seek redress. (Like maybe getting my job back.)

"But sexual orientation was not a protected class under Alaska Statutes.  Nor was it under federal legislation, nor under municipal ordinance.  I was, as they say, S.O.L."
Straight allies are also discriminated against for supporting LGBT civil rights, or simply for being our friends and family members. Allies are encouraged to join us in sharing their experiences of LGBT-based discrimination at the hearing.

Ally Celtic Diva describes her experiences of supporting the previous attempt to add "sexual orientation" to the Anchorage Municipal policies, in the early 1990's, and belonging to the band Sky Is Blu, which represented Alaska at the 1993 National March on Washington for LGBT Rights:
"As a result, I received threatening phone calls (I remember my boyfriend at the time grabbing the phone from me to deal with one of the nasty callers) and all four of my tires slashed. Another member of the band was (literally) harassed and followed down the street!

"Worst of all, the only male member of the band lost the job he had been offered with, ironically, the Municipality! As a result of this, he couldn't get hired in his field and eventually ended up moving to the lower-48 with his wife and child."
Share your personal experiences of LGBT-based discrimination at the June 9 hearing and help to pass the ordinance. Contact Tiffany McClain or use the online form at Equality Works.

No comments:

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.