Sullivan VETOES Ordinance 64: no evidence, will of people

Statement from Mayor Sullivan's office:
On August 11, 2009, the Anchorage Assembly passed AO2009-64(S-2) as amended. I have reviewed the ordinance, heard the Assembly justifications for and against it, and understand the sentiments expressed during the many hours of public testimony. Since the passage, I have received nearly 2,500 additional communications from Anchorage residents. I thank all of those who took the time to participate in the process.

My review shows that there is clearly a lack of quantifiable evidence necessitating this ordinance. My review also shows that the vast majority of those who communicated their position on the ordinance are in opposition.

As elected officials, we are charged with reflecting the will of the community in our decisions, particularly in the absence of compelling data that would supersede that will.

Therefore, I hereby veto AO2009-64(S-2) as amended.

Note: The mayor's office does not plan to conduct individual media requests today. Questions will be referred back to the statement.

No comments:

Copyright © 2008 by Bent Alaska.